[openstack-dev] [Keystone][Horizon] User self registration and management

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jan 15 00:26:18 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the info and the feedback.

Looking at our current situation, it seems unlikely we are to be
switching to a federated Keystone. Is the preferred approach these days
to use a federated Keystone?

What we'd like to do is ideally have this service work using the
Keystone API. It should fit neatly into and add missing features to the
current OpenStack ecosystem, plus be easy to setup and gain access to
these features for people like ourselves who are using just Keystone
itself for identity.

Our primary purpose with OpenStack at present is running a semi-public
cloud. All our users are new or incoming so storing them in Keystone
isn't an issue, plus any users on our internal idp needing to use the
Cloud would ideally get signed up and managed by the project/client on
the cloud they are working in.

Enrique, if you have a github repo or some project pages you can point
me to that would be wonderful. I'm currently in the very early stages of
our proof of concept/prototype, so it would be great to see some work
others have done to solve similar issues. If I can find something that
works for a few of our use cases it might be a better starting point or
good to see what an approach others might find useful is.

I'd much rather not duplicate work, nor build something only useful for
our use cases, so collaboration towards a community variant would be ideal.

We will be discussing federated Keystone options, but it looks like too
much complexity at present, and most of the useful features we'd want I
assume won't be in until after Kilo.

Cheers,
Adrian Turjak