[openstack-dev] [devstack] Devstack plugins and gate testing

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 23:24:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

With [1] merged, we now have people working on creating external
plugins for devstack.

I worry about use of arbitrary external locations as plugins for gate
jobs.  If a plugin is hosted externally (github, bitbucket, etc) we
are introducing a whole host of problems when it is used as a gate
job.  Lack of CI testing for proposed changes, uptime of the remote
end, ability to accept contributions, lack of administrative access
and consequent ability to recover from bad merges are a few.

I would propose we agree that plugins used for gate testing should be
hosted in stackforge unless there are very compelling reasons
otherwise.

To that end, I've proposed [2] as some concrete wording.  If we agree,
I could add some sort of lint for this to project-config testing.

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142805/ (Implement devstack external plugins)
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/146679/ (Document use of plugins for gate jobs)