[openstack-dev] [cinder] [oslo] MySQL connection shared between green threads concurrently

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 16:17:06 UTC 2015

Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>> So I’m not really sure what’s going on here.  Cinder seems to have some
>> openstack greenlet code of its own in
>> cinder/openstack/common/threadgroup.py, I don’t know the purpose of this
>> code.   SQLAlchemy’s connection pool has been tested a lot with eventlet
>> / gevent and this has never been reported before.     This is a very
>> severe race and I’d think that this would be happening all over the
>> place.
>
> The threadgroup module is from the Oslo incubator, so if you need to
> review the git history you'll want to look at that copy.

I haven’t confirmed this yet today but based on some greenlet research as
well as things I observed with PDB yesterday, my suspicion is that Cinder’s
startup code runs in a traditional thread, at the same time the service is
allowing connections to come in via green-threads, which are running in a
separate greenlet event loop (how else did my PDB sessions have continued
echo output stepping on my typing?). greenlet performs stack-slicing where
it is memoizing the state of the interpreter to some extent, but importantly
it does not provide this in conjunction with traditional threads. So Python
code can’t even tell that it’s being shared, because all of the state is
completely swapped out (but of course this doesn’t count when you’re a file
descriptor). I’ve been observing this by watching the identical objects
(same ID) magically have different state as a stale greenlet suddenly wakes
up in the middle of the presumably thread-bound initialization code.

My question is then how is it that such an architecture would be possible,
that Cinder’s service starts up without greenlets yet allows greenlet-based
requests to come in before this critical task is complete? Shouldn’t the
various oslo systems be providing patterns to prevent this disastrous
combination?