[openstack-dev] [glance] File-backed glance scrubber queue

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:42:54 UTC 2015

I recently proposed a change to glance to turn the file-backed scrubber
queue files into JSON: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/145223/

As I looked into it more, though, it turns out that the file-backed queue
is no longer usable; it was killed by the implementation of this blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/image-location-status

But what's not clear is if the implementation of that blueprint should have
killed the file-backed scrubber queue, or if that was even intended. Two
things contribute to the lack of clarity:

1. The file-backed scrubber code was left in, even though it is unreachable.

2. The ordering of the commits is strange. Namely, commit 66d24bb (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67115/) killed the file-backed queue, and
then, *after* that change, 70e0a24 (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67122/)
updates the queue file format. So it's not clear why the queue file format
would be updated if it was intended that the file-backed queue was no
longer usable.

Can someone clarify what was intended here? If killing the file-backed
scrubber queue was deliberate, then let's finish the job and excise that
code. If not, then let's make sure that code is reachable again, and I'll
resurrect my blueprint to make the queue files suck less.

Either way I'm happy to make the changes, I'm just not sure what the goal
of these changes was, and how to properly proceed.

Thanks for any clarification anyone can offer.

--
Chris St. Pierre