[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Cache for packages on master node

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 22:02:53 UTC 2015

previously we used squid in 3.0 and before. The main problem is that the
deployment would proceeded even if not all the packages where cached or
even available on the remote. This often lead to broken deployments that
where hard to debug and a waste of alot of time. This _MUST_ be resolved or
we will re-introduce this horrible work flow that we had placed all the
packages on the system for to begin with.

I think we need to add a requirements that we need to be able to:
a) pre-populate the cacher
b) we need to not start the deployment until we either have every package
in the chache (eiew) or at least know every package is reachable currently
(or allow the user to select either as a deployment criteria)

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Skamruk, Piotr <piotr.skamruk at intel.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 15:24 +0100, Tomasz Napierala wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> We are currently redesigning our apporach to upstream distributions and
> obviusly we will need some cache system for packages on master node. It
> should work for deb and rpm packages, and be able to serve up to 200 nodes.
> I know we had bad experience in the past, can you guys share your thought
> on that?
> I just collected what was mentioned in other discussions:
> - approx
> - squid
> - apt-cacher-ng
> - ?
>

> As this should work for both .rpm/.deb packages, i think that squid
> (probably configured as transparent proxy, but not necessarily, we can
> explicitly set FMN as http/https proxy on deployed nodes) could be easiest
> to setup.
>
> http://codepoets.co.uk/2014/squid-3-4-x-with-ssl-for-debian-wheezy/ -
> example how to setup squid as transparent proxy also for https .
>
> --
>   regards
>   jell

Andrew