[openstack-dev] [fuel] github can't sync with git because of big uploading

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 30 13:46:35 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-30 02:34:32 +0000 (+0000), wuwenbin wrote:
> Repo of fuel-plugin-onos has something wrong because of uploading
> big file. Though codes are reverted while history still contains
> the pack which results in big downloading and unsync with github.
[...]

The OpenStack Project does not officially endorse, much less
support, GitHub-based workflows. That's a non-free, non-open service
over which we have neither control nor even insight most of the
time.

OpenStack provides Git services at git.openstack.org and only pushes
copies to other providers as a convenience for some users who seem
to like them indexed there. As for the repository size, we already
have much larger repositories in Gerrit than yours
(openstack-manuals, for example).

> Does anyone can help me solve this as soon as possible?

As suggested to you in IRC last week, clone from git.openstack.org
instead of github.com and you can continue working as usual. While
the Infrastructure Team is discussing lowering the object size limit
in our Gerrit deployment, we have no control over what else GitHub
might also block (now or in the future) and so can't guarantee any
repository will be mirrored there with 100% certainty.

Once more of the Infra team are back from holiday travels, I'll get
a better consensus on whether pushing a rewritten master branch to
fuel-plugin-onos is a viable compromise we're able to support in
situations like this, but please stop thinking that there's
something broken. The systems we support are working as designed,
and you should still be able to use them for your existing project
without having to abandon it and create a new one under a different
name.
--
Jeremy Stanley