[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] Gerrit Upgrade to ver 2.11, completed.

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Dec 24 00:03:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Michał Dulko <michal.dulko at intel.com> wrote:
> n goes to next occurrence and N (shift+n) to a previous one. These are
> same keybindings as in Vim. Actually a lot of Vim-like movements are
> functional in new Gerrit and I really like that fact.

I'll admit that I started to get excited about the vim-like movements.
My fingers know them pretty well.  But, now this new interface is
driving me even more crazy!  Here's why:

Things like 'v' works to highlight parts of the code.  I found the
following all worked:  'b', 'w', 'h', 'l', '400G', and some more.
But, then my fingers started doing things that ended up sending me all
over the place.  For example, after discovering that 'b' and 'w' work,
you'd expect 'e' to work similarly.  Nope, that throws you in the
editor (which I'm not nearly as excited about as everyone else seems
to be).  Then, I tried 'fM' to put the cursor on the next occurrence
of 'M'.  I have no idea why but I ended up in a different file
altogether.  There were a couple others that I didn't take careful
note of but this afternoon trying out vim keys has been a disaster.

The problem here is that I've been a vi(m) user since high school.  I
don't think about the navigation commands, they are all in muscle
memory.  So, to start using vim muscle memory at all in gerrit is
dangerous.  Who knows what is going to happen because they only
partially (and apparently arbitrarily) implemented the movement
commands and didn't document which ones work and which ones to watch
out for because they have a different meaning in gerrit.

So, the end result is that I'm learning a whole new way of navigating
without the proper documentation to help.

Carl