[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] Gerrit Upgrade to ver 2.11, completed.

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Wed Dec 23 21:57:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph <lyz at princessleia.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net> wrote:
>> I do see that a lot of vim movement does work. I was hoping that
>> holding down a movement command like 'j' would rapidly move down but
>> it doesn't. :(
>
> Earlier in the thread zaro mentioned this in passing, but to be more
> specific: hitting '?' will bring up a menu of keyboard shortcuts that
> can be used. This works in various screens throughout the Gerrit web
> UI. No guessing required as to what shortcuts exist or how they work.

I'm aware of the '?' help and have found it lacking. I've still had to
guess at how they work (or don't work) in some cases. For example, where
are many of the vim movement commands documented (besides j/k which I knew
about by reading the help)? I missed the navigation to the next/previous
search result because it isn't documented with shift + n but is with n. I
missed it.

And it doesn't excuse the awful overloading of n and shift + n which breaks
navigation by chunks once you start using the search feature.

I really haven't been impressed by many of the new features because they
all seem to come with awkward baggage.

Carl I