[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [IPv6] [radvd] Advertise tenant prefixes from router to outside

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Fri Dec 18 04:21:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Vladimir Eremin <veremin at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> I’ll fil RFE for sure, thank you for the link to the process )
>
> So actually, we should announce all SUBNETS we’ve attached to router. Otherwise is will not work, because external network router will have no idea, where the traffic should be routed back. It is an actual viability discriminator: subnets, that doesn’t attached are counting as unviable to the external network context.

The subnets attached to the router which are not controlled by a
subnet pool come straight from the user and there is no validation of
the addresses used, no overlap prevention, nor any other kind of
control.  We can't leave it up to tenants to advertise whatever
subnets they want to to the external network.  The advertisements must
be limited to subnets allocated to the tenant by the operator of the
cloud with some mechanism for preventing overlap of addresses between
subnets.

A subnet that has an address scope was allocated from a pool defined
under that scope.  We know where the address came from and that it
will not overlap any other subnet in the same scope.

For subnets that don't meet this criteria, their traffic should not
even be routed out to the external network in the first place let
alone get a route back to the router.  The address pools blueprint
covers this too.

> BTW, could you please point me to the spec for address scopes.

Sure:  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/address-scopes

Carl