[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Disable 3.[3-7] gates for master?

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 17 06:59:05 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-16 15:42, Alex Schultz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski
> <bpiotrowski at mirantis.com> wrote:
>> Fuelers,
>>
>> with the switch to CentOS 7, we also started using Puppet 3.8 in place
>> of 3.4. Is there any reason to run entire range of
>> gate-fuel-library-puppet-unit-3.*-dsvm-centos7 tests?
>>
>> I suppose we could leave only 3.8 and 4.0 there (at least for master).
>> For stable branches we could keep just 3.4, 3.8 and 4.0 and disable the
>> rest.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> We should probably figure out what versions are supported by the
> distributions and target those. I would say we need to keep 3.4 since
> that's what ships with Ubuntu.  That being said as we move to
> supporting Fuel being installed via packages and not relying on the
> existing packages being provided by MOS, the end user could use any
> version of puppet they so desire via the puppetlabs repositories.
> We're just using the same set of tests that the Puppet OpenStack folks
> are using so it would continue to benefit us to support the same set
> of tests if there is no compelling reason not to.  Are we running into
> a particular issue with the other jobs?
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex

So all these releases are actually supported? Looking at GitHub, it
doesn't look like they received much maintenance, e.g. no bugfix release
for 3.3.x since November 6, 2013.

I'm bringing this up because I wanted to use execute method of
Puppet::Util::Execution but it's been introduced in 3.4, but I guess if
we expect some user to run any of Puppet releases with our code, I'll
just work around it somehow.

Thanks for explanation,
Bartłomiej