[openstack-dev] [midonet] how to configure static route for uplink

Jan Hilberath jan at midokura.com
Thu Dec 17 04:55:11 UTC 2015

On 12/17/2015 12:57 AM, Li Ma wrote:
 > Hi, I'm following [1] to configure static route for uplink. I'm not
 > sure whether I'm getting it.
 >
 > (1) Floating-IP subnet (gateway?) configuration in the guide?

You will have to replace 200.200.200.0/24 with the CIDR that you are
using for your Neutron external network (that provides the floating IPs).

 > (2) eth0 configuration in the guide?

The eth0 in the guide is the interface on the gateway node that provides
connectivity to the Internet. eth0 is just an example, the interface
name may of course be different on your system.

 > (3) Do I need to configure uplink physical router? back route to eth0?

No, because the outgoing traffic will be NATed and masqueraded by
iptables. The uplink router thus will see the packets as coming from
eth0's IP address.

 > (4) What if I just bind router0:port0 to physical nic: eth0, and don't
 > do the uplink bridge and veth pair stuff. Can it work?

No. MidoNet's datapath would then grab all of eth0's traffic and things
will get messy in the underlay.

https://docs.midonet.org/docs/v2015.06/en/operations-guide/content/static_setup.html