[openstack-dev] [oslo.log] RFC5424-compliant dates

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:12:20 UTC 2015

RFC5424 requires timestamps in a strict subset of RFC3339. Currently,
oslo.log has no way to provide dates in this format without specifying a
custom logging formatter, which means that oslo.log is incapable of
providing RFC5424-compliant log messages.

I've proposed a proof-of-concept to add that capability, in the form of a
new %(rfc3339time)s variable that can be used in log formats, at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/256584/. This is obviously still in the
proof-of-concept phase, but I was hoping to get some comments on it to see
if people think this is a sane and reasonable approach before I go any
further.

The other approach that makes sense to me would be to add a magic option to
the log_date_format option (e.g., log_date_format = rfc3339 or
log_date_format= rfc5424) that made %(asctime)s into an RFC3339 timestamp.

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

--
Chris St. Pierre