[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Rename tenant to project: discussion

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 21:26:10 UTC 2015

On 4 December 2015 at 10:02, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So obviously the stuff in the client can be updated since most of that is
> user-facing. However, on the server side maybe we can start out by keeping
> all of the internal code and DB tables the same. Then all we need to worry
> about is the API translation code to start.
>
> Once our public-facing stuff is done, we can just start the transition to
> project_id internally at our own pace and in much less invasive chunks.

This plan is sensible, and kudos to Dariusz to take it on...this is no
small feat of engineering and it won't be the effort of a single...we're
all here to help. Let me state the obvious and remind that this is not a
mechanical search and replace effort. We gotta be extra careful to support
both terms in the process.

To sum it up I see the following steps:

1) Make or figure out how the server can talk to the v3 API - which is bug
1503428. If Monty is unable to tackle it soon, I am sure he'll be happy to
hand it back and Darius, perhaps, can take over

This will ensure that if for whatever reason v2 gets pulled out tomorrow
(not gonna happen, but still), we're not left high and dry. To achieve
this, I think we don't invasively need to change tenant id with project id,
but only where it's key to get/validate a token.

2) Start from the client to allow to handle both project_id and tenant_id.

The server must be enhanced to be able to convert project_id to tenant_id
on the fly. The change should be relatively limited in a few places, like
where the request come in. At this time nothing else is required to change
in the server.

3) Tackle the data model.

I wonder if we could leverage some sqlalchemy magic to support both
project_id and tenant_id in the db logic, seamlessly....something worth
investigating (zzzeek may be of help here). The sooner we start here, the
sooner we catch and fix breakages

4) Tackle the codebase sweep.

As for projects that use neutron and use the internal APIs, I can't see a
clean way of handling the bw compat if not by sprinkling decorators that
will take the signature of all the affected methods and convert the
tenant_id, but we could definitely explore how this would look like.