[openstack-dev] [puppet] Puppet 4 and Beaker testing

Cody Herriges cody at herriges.org
Thu Dec 3 18:16:31 UTC 2015

Cody Herriges wrote:
> Today we do unit testing against all kinds of puppet versions but
> beaker's acceptance testing is currently limited to the 3.8.x series.
> The is because we install "latest" Puppet from Puppet Labs repositories
> but do so using the old packaging style which relied on dependency
> packages being delivered by the Operating System vendors, things like
> Ruby or OpenSSL.  With the release of Puppet 4.0, Puppet Labs decided to
> take a different approach and has pushed into the open source space a
> compilation package that contains all runtime dependencies, packaged as
> "puppet-agent" and generally referred to as PC1.  This is the same thing
> Puppet Labs had been doing for Puppet Enterprise customers for a few years.

<snip>

A quick update on this.  After discussing the increased resource
requirements needed to test both Puppet installation types on CentOS 7
and Trusty with Emilien, we decided to just move forward with simply
keeping a single beaker test per platform but upgrading those tests to
Puppet 4.

Right now I am fighting the annoying combination of non-standard OS
paths (/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/bin) and beaker not understanding how to
deal with nodepool instances gracefully.  Because of both issues, to
make this work I'll need to get a couple patches into beaker.

--
Cody