[openstack-dev] [reno] using 'releasenotes' directive in documents for released tarball (without git info)

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Dec 3 16:25:31 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Akihiro Motoki's message of 2015-12-04 01:03:40 +0900:
> Hi,
>
> python-neutronclient recently added reno support and
> I added the reno directive " . release-notes::" to the neutronclient
> documentation.
> As a result, this prevents users from building the documentation from
> released tarballs
> using 'python setup.py build_sphinx' because the reno module expects a
> git tree [1].
>
> What is the recommended way now?
>
> The easiest way we can do now seems not to include our release notes
> (release-notes directive) in our documentation and instead point the
> url http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/<project> instead.

We've gone back and forth a few times about the approach for release
notes in clients and other libraries. My earlier email [1] describes
our most current proposed approach, which is to use reno separately
from the regular documentation build for notes targeted at deployers,
and manual or pbr-based ChangeLog notes in the developer documentation
for a developer audience.

Doug

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/080694.html