[openstack-dev] [reno] using 'releasenotes' directive in documents for released tarball (without git info)

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 16:03:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

python-neutronclient recently added reno support and
I added the reno directive " . release-notes::" to the neutronclient
documentation.
As a result, this prevents users from building the documentation from
released tarballs
using 'python setup.py build_sphinx' because the reno module expects a
git tree [1].

What is the recommended way now?

The easiest way we can do now seems not to include our release notes
(release-notes directive) in our documentation and instead point the
url http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/<project> instead.

Of course, reno (or other tool chains) can be improved to generate release notes
during "python setup.py sdist" or similar process so that the
documentation which
contains 'releasenotes' sphinx directive can be generated even out of git tree.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-neutronclient/+bug/1520096

Akihiro