[openstack-dev] [nova] [openstack-operators] Tools to move instances between projects?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Dec 3 00:08:16 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Kris G. Lindgren's message of 2015-12-02 12:52:10 -0800:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if someone has a set of tools/code to work allow admins to move vm's from one tenant to another?  We get asked this fairly frequently in our internal cloud (atleast once a week, more when we start going through and cleaning up resources for people who are no longer with the company).   I have searched and I was able to find anything externally.
>
> Matt Riedemann pointed me to an older spec for nova : https://review.openstack.org/#/c/105367/ for nova.  I realize that this will most likely need to be a cross projects effort.  Since vm's consume resources for multiple other projects, and to move a VM between projects would also require that those other resources get updated as well.
>
> Is anyone aware of a cross project spec to handle this – or of specs in other projects?

Just a thought.. this is very not-cloud.

VMs are meant to be ephemeral. They have RAM that goes away when you turn
them off. They have ephemeral disks (sometimes) that go away when you
reboot them. I am not saying you must be 100% cattle and have no pets,
but if you have pets, you should still have the usual disaster recovery
plans for all of the reasons a VM might not be available to you anymore.

So, I kind of feel like you just need the ability to export a snapshot
(volume or VM) as an image and send it to the user. Everything else
should be a product of automation. I do recall somebody had a thing
that would look at nova/neutron/cinder and produce a Heat template,
so that might close the loop there (hand them a heat template and images).

My point is, doing this via the public API's should be 100% possible,
and will be a lot more scalable.