[openstack-dev] [nova] jsonschema for scheduler hints

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Dec 2 14:23:24 UTC 2015

We have previously agreed that scheduler hints in Nova are an open ended
thing. It's expected for sites to have additional scheduler filters
which expose new hints. The way we handle that with our strict
jsonschema is that we allow additional properties -
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/1734ce7101982dd95f8fab1ab4815bd258a33744/nova/api/openstack/compute/schemas/scheduler_hints.py#L65

This means that if you specify some garbage hint, you don't get feedback
that it was garbage in your environment. That lost a couple of days
building multinode tests in the gate. Having gotten used to the hints
that "you've given us bad stuff", this was a stark change back to the
old world.

Would it be possible to make it so that the schema could be explicitly
extended (instead of implicitly extended). So that additional
properties=False, but a mechanism for a scheduler filter to register
it's jsonschema in?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague