[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Dec 2 10:26:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 01 2015, ROSENSWEIG, ELISHA (ELISHA) wrote:

> 1. Does AODH currently support raising alarms on resources not modeled
> in OpenStack? For example, raising an alarm on a Switch? Or does each
> alarm have to relate to a resource ID (or IDs)(

Yes, Aodh does not really care, especially with the Gnocchi backend. It
can evaluate any metric on any resource type and just trigger the alarm.

> 2. What we feel is missing is some way to raise an alarm on-the-fly. In
> Vitrage, we have this concept of "deduced alarms", where based on some analysis
> Vitrage determines we need to raise an alarm on some resource. As we understand
> it, currently to raise an alarm in AODH we need to register the alarm in
> advance, wait for it to be registered and only then we can trigger the event.
> This will delay our response time to events.

What you need to do, is create the alarm that you want to trigger in
Aodh. Let's say Vitrage knows that if switch A is going down, it needs
to send an email to an admin.

You create an alarm in Aodh that says on event "switch A is down -> send
a mail to admin". Then Vitrage runs, and just have to emit an event
"switch A is down". You can do that via oslo.messaging or I guess via
the REST API (not sure the mechanism is here but it could be I guess).
Then Aodh will trigger the alarm actions for you.

Next step could be give more job to Aodh, such as determining that
"switch A is down" by doing some evaluation – unless the switch sends an
event when it's going down, but I imagine it's not the point. ;-)

Does that help?

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker