[openstack-dev] [swift] [oslo.messaging] [fuel] [ha] Is Swift going to support oslo.messaging?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:30:52 UTC 2015

On 12/01/2015 08:17 AM, Richard Hawkins wrote:
> ​Is it possible to write the functionality you desire in your
> own middleware for Swift that lives outside of the Swift code?  I would
> favor that approach for the following reasons:
>
> * You would have more control over code/changes so your middleware could
> stabilize and mature faster (don't have to wait for reviews from
> community for minor tweaks).
>
> * Since you are writing it, you get exactly what you want.
>
> * Swift would not gain more dependancies that would have to be installed.
>
> There have been a few projects in the past that have been successful
> middleware without being included (swauth, swift3, swift-informant).
>
> And in the end, if your middleware becomes wildly successful and
> everybody uses it, there would be no reason it could not be merged into
> the Swift code at a later time.​

It's not Denis' middleware. It's the Ceilometer community's middleware
for Swift to emit notification payloads that Ceilometer understands:

https://github.com/openstack/ceilometermiddleware

Denis, I actually don't think that Swift needs to use oslo.messaging at
all. The middleware loads the rabbit configuration for the Notifier
class from the CONF object here:

https://github.com/openstack/ceilometermiddleware/blob/master/ceilometermiddleware/swift.py#L112

and that conf object should use the config file sections that
oslo_messaging relies on, right? So, this should really just require a
change to the swift-proxy conf files to add the [oslo_messaging]
sections, I think?

Best,
-jay