[openstack-dev] [neutron][vpnaas] Need community guidance please...

Paul Michali pc at michali.net
Mon Aug 24 14:02:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm working on the multiple local subnet feature for VPN (RFE
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1459423), with a developer
reference document detailing the proposed process (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/191944/). The plan is to do this in two
steps. The first is to add new APIs and database support for "endpoint
groups" (see dev ref for details). The second is to modify the IPSec/VPN
APIs to make use of the new information (and no longer use some older, but
equivalent info that is being extended).

I have a few process/procedural questions for the community...

Q1) Should I do this all as one huge commit, as two commits (one for
endpoint groups and one for modification to support multiple local
subnets), or multiple (chained) commits (e.g. commit for each API for the
endpoint groups and for each part of the multiple subnet change)?

My thought (now) is to do this as two commits, with the endpoint groups as
one, and multiple subnet groups as a second. I started with a commit for
create API of endpoint (212692), and then did a chained commit for
delete/show/list (215717), thinking they could be reviewed in pieces, but
they are not that large and could be easily merged.

Q2) If the two parts are done separately, should the "endpoint group"
portion, which adds a table and API calls, be done as part of the existing
version (v2) of VPN, instead of introducing a new version at that step?

Q3) For the new API additions, do I create a new subclass for the
"interface" that includes all the existing APIs, introduce a new class that
is used together with the existing class, or do I add this to the existing
API?

Q4) With the final multiple local subnet changes, there will be changes to
the VPN service API (delete subnet_id arg) and IPSec connection API (delete
peer_cidrs arg, and add local_endpoints and peer_endpoints args). Do we
modify the URI so that it calls out v3 (versus v2)? Where do we do that?

I'm unsure of the mechanism of increasing the version.

Thanks in advance for any guidance here on how this should be rolled out...

Regards,

Paul Michali (pc_m)