[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Heat] [kolla] Deploying containerized services with Heat

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 15:31:52 UTC 2015

This email is loosely related to the recent thread of docker, puppet,
and Heat here:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-August/071492.html

I'd really like to get some feedback about work done to use Heat for
deploying Kolla containers. Ultimately, the hope is to use this work for
usage in tripleO. Here is an example of what the undercloud could look
like [1]. The repo is currently messy and out of date, but illustrates
bootstrapping Heat directly on a host with nothing installed except
Docker. The idea was to utilize Kolla containers without any changes
(and was also developed before the config external functionality came
along).

A very incomplete template example for the undercloud
(deploy-undercloud.yaml) exists in the heat-standalone directory.
However, I've been struggling with the perceived template simplicity vs
supportability due to the usage of the Heat docker driver.

A very similar approach of a containerized overcloud [2] was attempted
on master [3] for the undercloud. My understanding was that it still has
a problem with the os-*-config tools signaling back to Heat. I apologize
I can't elaborate further on that. Note that is has been a primary
objective to not use Nova for deploying containerized services (with
both approaches) and I believe that contributed to the signaling problem
mentioned before.

Thoughts on the above would be most welcome. Instead of further
developing on something that ultimately goes nowhere, I'd rather consult
the tripleO experts! Since there has been some contention for usage of
the Heat docker driver, please also evaluate the Heat fat container for
deployment usage.

Apologies in advance if any of this is unclear.

Jeff

[1]
https://github.com/jpeeler/kolla/tree/694df62d47cf6d930bf04231386c917f5cb4da58$
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/178840/