[openstack-dev] [Elections] TC Election analysis

Maish Saidel-Keesing maishsk at maishsk.com
Thu Apr 30 20:28:53 UTC 2015

On 04/30/15 21:48, Joe Gordon wrote:
> As others have done for past elections, here is a brief breakdown of
> the TC election ballot data.
>
> analysis: http://paste.openstack.org/show/213831
> source code: http://paste.openstack.org/show/213830
>
> Some highlights are:
>
> * 3 people voted but ranked everyone as #19
> * 16% of the ballots voted for 3 or fewer candidates
> * Theirry and Jay did much better then everyone else.
> * Most winning candidates were ranked #19 over 1/3 of the time.
> * No one voted for only James while 6 people only voted for Flavio
> (min and max)

Thanks Joe for the analysis. It is quite interesting. Another thing that
I find interesting is the low participation rate.

Out of 2169 eligible voters, 548 participated - that is 25.26%.

Comparing to previous elections
Oct. 2014 - 1893 eligible voters, 506 participated - 26.73%
Apr. 2014 - 1510 eligible voters, 408 participated - 29.66%

I am wondering why the participation level is so low. This is really one
of the few opportunities a contributor has to define the direction of
OpenStack as a whole. And yet it goes down each election.

I can think of perhaps two reasons for low participation.

1. People do not see find that they need interaction with the TC, they
are focused on the work going on in their project and at most - have
interaction they need with the PTL, they do not really care that much
about - or have any dealings with the TC and it members - so they do not
find it important enough to participate.

2. Could it be that OpenStack has contributors that are producing code -
mainly because that is what their job is - they are hired by a vendor, a
company that has made it a priority to get code into the products - and
therefore they produce code, and evidently it is a sizable number of
people like this - but do not really participate in the community?

Thoughts?

--
Best Regards,
Maish Saidel-Keesing