[openstack-dev] Navigating the ever changing OpenStack codebase

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 28 21:56:22 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-28 16:08:03 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
> Honestly, I see no problem with some helper bash scripts that
> simplify life for new contributors.
[...]

Well, the main downside to them is that rather than serving as
documentation of how to run the tests, they serve as a temptation to
developers using them to start adding workarounds for various things
and can end up in a situation where what we're gating on acts
nothing like what the developers who run that script are actually
getting. And then that leads to even more confusion because they
don't realize that their problem is being hidden by something hacked
into run_tests.sh so they think the automated CI is broken instead.

I remember it happening regularly before we started begging people
to run tox and instead remove those scripts where possible.
--
Jeremy Stanley