[openstack-dev] Navigating the ever changing OpenStack codebase

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Tue Apr 28 20:25:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-28 at 16:08 -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> Honestly, I see no problem with some helper bash scripts that simplify
> life for new contributors. The bash scripts do wonders for developers
> new to OpenStack or Python coding by having a pretty easy and readable
> way of determining what CLI commands are used to execute tests. Hell,
> devstack [1] itself was written originally in the way it was to
> well-document the deployment process for OpenStack. Many packagers and
> configuration management script authors have looked at devstack's Bash
> scripts for inspiration and instruction in this way.
>
> The point Ronald was making that nobody seems to have addressed is the
> very valid observation that as a new contributor, it can be very
> confusing to go from one project to another and see different ways of
> running tests. Some projects have run_tests.sh and still actively
> promote it in the devref docs. Others don't
>
> While Ronald seems to have been the victim of unfortunate timing (he
> started toying around with python-openstackclient and within a week,
> they removed the script he was using to run tests), that doesn't make
> his point about our inconsistency moot.

Completely agreed, actually; I was only responding to the comment
suggesting the complete removal of run_tests.sh.  I personally think we
should promote only tox in the various doc files, and reference
run_tests.sh only as a legacy thing we can't fully get rid of quite yet.
(Incidentally, for my testing purposes, I don't care where it is, as
long as it's somewhere; so we could also move it to, say, "tools".  I
don't even care what it outputs, as long as it gives a reasonable return
value; so we could have it print out a scary-looking warning about it
being legacy… :)
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace