[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 14:42:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Ed Leafe wrote:

> I read "the downstream" to mean what you refer to as "people who
> deploy workloads on them". In this context, I saw the operators as the
> end-users of the work the devs do. If that gave the impression that I
> don't care about people who actually run their stuff on the clouds we
> build, I apologize - I was simply trying to answer what was asked.

I left the terminology intentional vague to allow people to interpret
them as they felt appropriate. To be clear I was thinking in these
sorts of ways:

* Downstream: The companies that are packaging and selling OpenStack
   in some fashion. I left these people out because I personally think
   the OpenStack project does _far_ too much to keep these people happy
   and should actually do less and since that is a somewhat
   contentious position I wanted to leave it out of the discussion (at
   least initially) as it would just muddy the waters.

* End-users: Someone who might run 'nova boot' or 'heat stack-create'
   or the openstack client or horizon to get something going. I have
   access to clouds where I do this, but I do not operate them (I do,
   however, operate my own little mini clouds at home).

* Operators: People responsible for making sure one or more cloud
   installations exist and/or are running smoothly.

* Developers: The people writing and testing the code.

Some individuals will have one of these roles, some will have more.

Some individuals will have entirely different definitions. That's
cool.

Thanks to everyone for participating. It's been very useful I think.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent