[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Apr 24 13:52:45 UTC 2015

On 04/24/2015 08:30 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:

>> I'm not sure what you see as the difference between the "end
>> users" and the "operators" of OpenStack, because in my mind they
>> are one and the same. I don't consider the people using, say,
>> public cloud services to be OpenStack end users, because
>> ultimately they just want stuff that works, and if it doesn't,
>> they'll blame the provider, not OpenStack. I see our end users as
>> the people who deploy and run OpenStack clouds.
>
> Whoa! Back the terminology train up.
>
> There's been longstanding confusion whenever anyone mentions the
> word "users" because it is ambiguous whether it refers to the
> people who deploy OpenStack clouds or the people who deploy
> workloads on them. This has largely been resolved by a conscious
> effort to refer to the two groups as "operators" and "end users"
> respectively.
>
> The *last* thing we need is to muddy the waters again since,
> contrary to your (I hope inadvertent) implication, both groups are
> important and they often have different (and occasionally
> conflicting) interests. The qualifier "end" is there for a reason;
> don't ignore it.

Well, of course they are important, and shouldn't be ignored, but the
question explicitly stated:

> I'm concerned with are the developers, end-users and operators of
> OpenStack: the individuals who are actively involved with it on a
> daily basis. I'm intentionally leaving out things like "the
> downstream".

I read "the downstream" to mean what you refer to as "people who
deploy workloads on them". In this context, I saw the operators as the
end-users of the work the devs do. If that gave the impression that I
don't care about people who actually run their stuff on the clouds we
build, I apologize - I was simply trying to answer what was asked.

- --

- -- Ed Leafe