[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 07:28:47 UTC 2015

>> I recommend to use mysqlclient instead of MySQL-python even on
>> Python 2.
>>
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysqlclient
>> https://github.com/PyMySQL/mysqlclient-python

> Is it packaged in popular distributions? RHEL? Fedora? SuSe? Ubuntu?
> Debian? Gentoo?

If this library solves real bugs and provides Python 3 compatibility, I think it's worth to replace MySQL-python with this new library. Linux distro can package it, they can probably copy the packaging of MySQL-Python since it's a fork.

Note: mysqlclient-python conflicts with MySQL-Python, both libraries use the same "MySQLdb" Python module. The good news is that mysqlclient-python is a drop-in library for MySQL-Python: no need to change any line of code, only modify requirements.

@Naoki: Did you try to contact MySQL-Python authors to take over their project instead of forking?

Victor