[openstack-dev] [oslo][pbr] getting 0.11 out the door. Maybe even 1.0

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 12:22:26 UTC 2015

> I believe Redhat patch it out. I don't think they should need to,
> since we have explicit knobs for distros to use.

pbr pulls pip which we don't want in RHEL. Example of patches in RDO:

https://github.com/redhat-openstack/nova/commit/a19939c8f9a7b84b8a4d713fe3d26949e5664089
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/python-keystoneclient/commit/e02d529a87aef8aaca0616c8ee81de224bf1f52a
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/neutron/commit/85302b75362df30270383e3a373e60e81b1b2384
(well, it's always the same change)

Can't we enhance pbr to build (source/wheel) distributions of applications which don't depend on pbr? Basically implement these patches in pbr?

I read somewhere that pkg_resources may also be used to get the version.

Victor