[openstack-dev] [puppet] naming of the project

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 14:52:31 UTC 2015

On 04/16/2015 02:32 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:

> On 04/16/2015 02:23 PM, Richard Raseley wrote:
>> Emilien Macchi wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I sent a patch to openstack/governance to move our project under the big
>>> tent, and it came up [1] that we should decide of a project name and be
>>> careful about trademarks issues with Puppet name.
>>>
>>> I would like to hear from Puppetlabs if there is any issue to use Puppet
>>> in the project title; also, I open a new etherpad so people can suggest
>>> some names: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-openstack-naming
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/172112/1/reference/projects.yaml,cm
>>
>> Emilien,
>>
>> I went ahead and had a discussion with Puppet's legal team on this
>> issue. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to sanction the use of
>> Puppet's name or registered trademarks as part of the project's name.
>>
>> To be clear, this decision is in no way indicative of Puppet not feeling
>> the project is 'worthy' or 'high quality' (in fact the opposite is
>> true), but rather is a purely defensive decision.
>>
>> We are in the process of reevaluating our usage guidelines, but there is
>> no firm timetable as of this moment.
>
> I guess our best option is to choose a name without Puppet in the title.
> We will proceed to a vote after all proposals on the etherpad.

While we hear from Puppetlabs about the trademark potential issue, I
would like to run a vote for a name that does not contain `Puppet`, so
we can go ahead on the governance thing.
I took all proposals on the etherpad [1] and created a poll that will
close on next Tuesday 3pm, just before our weekly meeting so we will
make it official.

Anyone is welcome to vote:
http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/vote.pl?id=E_6c81ad92b71422d6&akey=f2e85294f17caa9a

Any feedback on the vote itself is also welcome.

Thanks,

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-openstack-naming

--
Emilien Macchi