[openstack-dev] [puppet] naming of the project

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 19:49:49 UTC 2015

On 04/17/2015 10:52 AM, Emilien Macchi wrote:

> On 04/16/2015 02:32 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:

>>> Emilien,
>>>
>>> I went ahead and had a discussion with Puppet's legal team on this
>>> issue. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to sanction the use of
>>> Puppet's name or registered trademarks as part of the project's name.
>>>
>>> To be clear, this decision is in no way indicative of Puppet not feeling
>>> the project is 'worthy' or 'high quality' (in fact the opposite is
>>> true), but rather is a purely defensive decision.
>>>
>>> We are in the process of reevaluating our usage guidelines, but there is
>>> no firm timetable as of this moment.
>>
>> I guess our best option is to choose a name without Puppet in the title.
>> We will proceed to a vote after all proposals on the etherpad.
>
> While we hear from Puppetlabs about the trademark potential issue, I
> would like to run a vote for a name that does not contain `Puppet`, so
> we can go ahead on the governance thing.
> I took all proposals on the etherpad [1] and created a poll that will
> close on next Tuesday 3pm, just before our weekly meeting so we will
> make it official.
>
> Anyone is welcome to vote:
> http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/vote.pl?id=E_6c81ad92b71422d6&akey=f2e85294f17caa9a
>
> Any feedback on the vote itself is also welcome.

I had some offline feedback about making a vote from people who actually
contributed to our modules, which makes more sense.
I decided to close the public poll (you can see results [1]).

So if you made at least one contribution to the Puppet OpenStack modules
over the last 6 months, you should probably have an email that allows
you to vote for the new project name.

Of course, I'll publish the result by Tuesday during our meeting.

[1] http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_6c81ad92b71422d6