[openstack-dev] [nova-docker][ceilometer][heat] Autoscaling docker in openstack

Sergey Kraynev skraynev at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 17 13:31:55 UTC 2015

Hi, Ashish.

Honestly I am not familiar with most part of these ways, but can add more
information from Heat side (item 2).

I am surprised, that you have missed Heat autoscaling mechanism (You should
look it :) ). It's one of the important part of Heat project.
It allows to scale vms/stacks by using Ceilometer alarms. There are couple
examples of autoscale templates:

https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/autoscaling.yaml
   (with LoadBalancer)
https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/asg_of_servers.yaml
https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/asg_of_stacks.yaml
<https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/asg_of_servers.yaml>

<https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/asg_of_servers.yaml>
It's true, that Docker plugin for Heat create docker server on Nova::Server
resource. So you may write template Docker resource + Server resource
(similar on third template) and scale by using Ceilometer alarms.
If you have any questions how to use it, please got to #heat irc channel
and ask us :)
Also another way (AFAIK) is to use SoftwareDeployment/Config and deploy
Server with docker inside (without docker plugin). In this way, I suppose,
Steve Baker can help with advise :)