[openstack-dev] [nova-docker][ceilometer][heat] Autoscaling docker in openstack

ashish.jain14 at wipro.com ashish.jain14 at wipro.com
Fri Apr 17 13:06:45 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have been working on running docker on openstack. I had a discussion on multiple IRC and IIUC there are 5 different ways of running docker on openstack. IIUC currently there is no way to autoscale docker on openstack. Please correct me if I am wrong

1) Using nova-docker driver - Running docker as a Nova::Server using nova-docker hypervisor
2) Using nova-plugin for heat - Running docker using DockerInc::Docker::Container
3) Using magnum - IIUC no automation as of now, manually it is possible. Not enough documentation available
4) heat compose - Saw some samples available @https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/tree/master/hot/software-config/elements/heat-config-docker-compose
5) Swarm support - Still in development

Issues with each on the above approaches

1) Using nova-docker driver - IIUC there is no way for ceilometer to collect and emit statistics for docker hypervisor. So that mean ceilometer does not have any stats available once you switch to docker driver.
This link (https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/tree/master/ceilometer/compute/virt) currently does not have anything for docker hypervisor.

2) Using nova-plugin for heat - Using this approach docker containers run on a Nova VM. However I do not see any illustration which suggests that you can autoscale using this approach.

3) Using magnum - Currently only possible by manually invoking it.

4) heat compose - Sample available at the above link just talks about deploying it up but nothing about auto scaling

5) Swarm Support - Still in dev

While I understand some of these options may enable us during the future release to autoscale docker on openstack. But looking currently I feel option #1 is most mature(probably) and by plugging in a ceilometer inspector for docker hypervisor it may be possible. Another approach could be to using cfn-push-stats to probably push some stats from docker container.

Please advice through your valued suggestions that time being what is the best way to achieve auto scaling for docker on openstack. I am ready to contribute to it in the best possible way.

Regards
Ashish