[openstack-dev] Global Cluster Template in Sahara

Liang, Yanchao yanliang at ebay.com
Wed Apr 15 21:22:13 UTC 2015

Dear Openstack Developers,

My name is Yanchao Liang. I am a software engineer in eBay, working on Hadoop as a Service on top of Openstack cloud.

Right now we are using Sahara, Juno version. We want to stay current and introduce global template into sahara.

In order to simplify the cluster creation process for user, we would like to create some cluster templates available for all users. User can just go to the horizon webUI, select one of the pre-popluated templates and create a hadoop cluster, in just a few clicks.

Here is how I would implement this feature:

  *   In the database, Create a new column in “cluster_templates" table called “is_global”, which is a boolean value indicating whether the template is available for all users or not.
  *   When user getting the cluster template from database,  add another function similar to “cluster_template_get”, which query the database for global templates.
  *   When creating cluster, put the user’s tenant id in the “merged_values” config variable, instead of the tenant id from cluster template.
  *   Use an admin account create and manage global cluster templates

Since I don’t know the code base as well as you do, what do you think about the global template idea? How would you implement this new feature?

We would like to contribute this feature back to the Openstack community. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best,
Yanchao