[openstack-dev] [Manila] ./run_tests issue

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:27:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2014 01:29 AM, Deepak Shetty wrote:
> > Thats incorrect, as i said in my original mail.. I am usign
> devstack+manila
> > and it wasn't very clear to me that mysql-devel needs to be installed and
> > it didn't get installed. I am on F20, not sure if that causes this , if
> > yes, then we need to debug and fix this.
>
> This is because by default devstack only installs the packages needed to
> actually run OpenStack.  For unit test deps, you need the
> INSTALL_TESTONLY_PACKAGES variable set to true in your localrc.  I've

Interesting, I didn't know that.... I will that using that next time I
re-spin my devstack!

> advocated to get it enabled by default in the past but was told that
> running unit tests on a devstack vm isn't the recommended workflow so
> they don't want to do that.

Hmm really, devstack is for openstack dev, so any all testing happens in
devstack
before you post the code, so I wonder who/why said that!
Maybe you should try again, giving this thread as an example

> > Maybe its a good idea to put a comment in requirements.txt statign that
> the
> > following C libs needs to be installed for  the venv to work smoothly.
> That
> > would help too for the short term.
>
> It's worth noting that you would need multiple entries for each lib
> since every distro tends to call them something different.

Agreed, hence i suggested that a comment should be put which will hint the
dev to install the right package

thanx,
deepak