[openstack-dev] Oslo messaging vs zaqar

Geoff O'Callaghan geoffocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 08:17:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I'm just trying to understand the messaging strategy in openstack.    It
seems we have at least 2 messaging layers.

Oslo.messaging and zaqar,  Can someone explain to me why there are two?
To quote from the zaqar faq :
---------
How does Zaqar compare to oslo.messaging?

oslo.messsaging is an RPC library used throughout OpenStack to manage
distributed commands by sending messages through different messaging
layers. Oslo Messaging was originally developed as an abstraction over
AMQP, but has since added support for ZeroMQ.

As opposed to Oslo Messaging, Zaqar is a messaging service for the over and
under cloud. As a service, it is meant to be consumed by using libraries
for different languages. Zaqar currently supports 1 protocol (HTTP) and
sits on top of other existing technologies (MongoDB as of version 1.0).
--------
It seems to my casual view that we could have one and scale that and use it
for SQS style messages, internal messaging (which could include logging)
all managed by message schemas and QoS.  This would give a very robust and
flexible system for endpoints to consume.

Is there a plan to consolidate?

Rgds
Geoff