[openstack-dev] [glance][tags] - What is the purpose of tags?

Brian Rosmaita brian.rosmaita at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Sep 26 12:34:57 UTC 2014

Just to add some more to what Fei Long said:

There's some mention of tags in the "regular" API docs [1, 2].  Various OpenStack vendors also have support docs explaining them [3].

Tags are "sort of" informal metadata, and support for tags (and they way you use them) varies widely among OpenStack components.  If you have a use case for tags across products, check out the Graffiti project [4], which is doing a similar thing using metadata (most components allow for metadata, although they do it in differing ways).  Glance is being extended in the Juno release so that the metadata definitions catalog for cross-product artifact tagging will be available through Glance [5].

cheers,
brian

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-image-service/2.0/content/add-an-image-tag.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-image-service/2.0/content/update-an-image.html (not explicitly mentioned, but note that tags are being used in the example)
[3] http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/cloud-images-frequently-asked-questions#image-tags
[4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Graffiti
[5] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/glance/glancemetadefcatalogapi.html

________________________________
From: Fei Long Wang [feilong at catalyst.net.nz]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 5:20 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [glance][tags] - What is the purpose of tags?

I think one of the use case is you can tag images with some simple label/mark, like 'windows', 'x64', 'ubuntu', etc. Then user can search the images easily with the possible tags he will be interested in. It could be very useful if there are tons of images, especially if you're providing an image market place[1,2]. Hope it make some sense. Cheers.

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/search/results/ref=gtw_navgno_search_box/183-5148555-5457622?page=1&searchTerms=x64
[2] http://marketplace.c12g.com/appliance