[openstack-dev] [NOVA] security group fails to attach to an instance if port-id is specified during boot.

Oleg Bondarev obondarev at mirantis.com
Fri Sep 26 07:25:49 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Day, Phil <philip.day at hp.com> wrote:

>  I think the expectation is that if a user is already interaction with
> Neutron to create ports then they should do the security group assignment
> in Neutron as well.

Agree. However what do you think a user expects when he/she boots a vm (no
matter providing port_id or just net_id)
and specifies security_groups? I think the expectation should be that
instance will become a member of the specified groups.
Ignoring security_groups parameter in case port is provided (as it is now)
seems completely unfair to me.

> The trouble I see with supporting this way of assigning security groups is
> what should the correct behavior be if the user passes more than one port
> into the Nova boot command ?   In the case where Nova is creating the ports
> it kind of feels (just)  Ok to assign the security groups to all the
> ports.  In the case where the ports have already been created then it
> doesn’t feel right to me that Nova modifies them.

An option may be to append existing ports' security groups with ones that a
user specifies during instance boot.
This way we will preserve both user expectations - first when the port is
created and second when the instance is spawned.
Thoughts?