[openstack-dev] [blazar]: proposal for a new lease type

Lisa lisa.zangrando at pd.infn.it
Thu Sep 18 13:27:51 UTC 2014

Hi all,

my name is Lisa Zangrando and I work at the Italian National Institute
for Nuclear Physics (INFN). In particular I am leading a team which is
addressing the issue concerning the efficiency in the resource usage in
OpenStack.
Currently OpenStack allows just a static partitioning model where the
resource allocation to the user teams (i.e. the projects) can be done
only by considering fixed quotas which cannot be exceeded even if there
are unused resources (but) assigned to different projects.
We studied the available BLAZAR's documentation and, in agreement with
Tim Bell (who is responsible the OpenStack cloud project at CERN), we
think this issue could be addressed within your framework.
Please find attached a document that describes our use cases (actually
we think that many other environments have to deal with the same
problems) and how they could be managed in BLAZAR, by defining a new
lease type (i.e. fairShare lease) to be considered as extension of the
list of the already supported lease types.
I would then be happy to discuss these ideas with you.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa