[openstack-dev] [blazar]: proposal for a new lease type

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 14:00:42 UTC 2014

Le 18/09/2014 15:27, Lisa a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> my name is Lisa Zangrando and I work at the Italian National Institute
> for Nuclear Physics (INFN). In particular I am leading a team which is
> addressing the issue concerning the efficiency in the resource usage
> in OpenStack.
> Currently OpenStack allows just a static partitioning model where the
> resource allocation to the user teams (i.e. the projects) can be done
> only by considering fixed quotas which cannot be exceeded even if
> there are unused resources (but) assigned to different projects.
> We studied the available BLAZAR's documentation and, in agreement with
> Tim Bell (who is responsible the OpenStack cloud project at CERN), we
> think this issue could be addressed within your framework.
> Please find attached a document that describes our use cases (actually
> we think that many other environments have to deal with the same
> problems) and how they could be managed in BLAZAR, by defining a new
> lease type (i.e. fairShare lease) to be considered as extension of the
> list of the already supported lease types.
> I would then be happy to discuss these ideas with you.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Glad to see you're interested in Blazar.

I tried to go thru your proposal, but could you please post the main
concepts of what you plan to add into an etherpad and create a blueprint
[1] mapped to it so we could discuss on the implementation ?
Of course, don't hesitate to ping me or the blazar community in
#openstack-blazar if you need help with the process or the current
Blazar design.

Thanks,
-Sylvain

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/blazar/