[openstack-dev] [neutron][all] switch from mysqldb to another eventlet aware mysql client

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Sat Sep 13 05:19:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 01:08:04 PM Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Signed PGP part
> >
> > On 12/09/14 17:30, Mike Bayer wrote:

> > > ah, well that is a great idea.  But we can have that throughout
> > > Kilo anyway, why not ?
> >
> > Sure, it's not the end of the world. We'll just need to postpone work
> > till RC1 (=opening of master for new stuff), pass spec bureauracy
> > (reapplying for kilo)... That's some burden, but not tragedy.
> >
> > The only thing that I'm really sad about is that Juno users won't be
> > able to try out that driver on their setup just to see how it works,
> > so it narrows testing base to gate while we could get some valuable
> > deployment feedback in Juno already.
>
> It’s all experimental, right? And implemented in libraries? So those users
> could update oslo.db and sqlalchemy-migrate and test the results under
> Juno.

Note that it's also theoretically possible to run the migrate with mysqldb and
the regular production service (post-migrate) with an alternate mysql driver
that won't deadlock eventlet...  (ie: there's no reason the mysql driver
choice needs to be universal and simultaneous)

I'm sad that we (as a project) still haven't been able to make this
technically trivial fix - or even make it an option for testing - after the
original problem was identified and the fix proposed 2.5+ months ago.  I'm
encouraged to see various meta-threads popping up discussing issues with our
development model and hopefully we can do better in future :(

--
 - Gus