[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Request for J3 FFE - add reset-state function for backups

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 09:12:27 UTC 2014

On 12 September 2014 09:54, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> At this point, unless it's critical to the success of the release (like,
> it completes a feature that is 99% there, or it increases consistency by
> plugging a feature gap, or it fixes a potential security vulnerability),
> I would rather avoid adding exceptions. Could you explain why adding
> reset-state function for backups absolutely needs to be in Juno ? Feels
> like a nice-to-have to me, and I fear we are past that point now.

1. It is 99% done, we've been reviewing the patch and fixing niggles
for a while now

2. We have equivalent features for volumes and snapshots (the other
two entities in cinder with state) and they are heavily used in
production

3. The alternative is getting admins to go editing the DB directly
(which is what we do now) and the logic for doing so is extremely hard
to get right

I'm a strong supporter of this feature, and I just gave the patch its first +2