[openstack-dev] [Nova][FFE] Feature freeze exception for virt-driver-numa-placement

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:00:01 UTC 2014

On 09/05/2014 04:48 AM, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
> Quick response as not to hijack the thread:
>
> I think we all agree on the benefits of having resources you can turn
> off and on at will.

I don't agree at all. There's no cost whatsoever in "turning on" a
resource. It doesn't need to be extensible. Resources just need to
properly modelled so that the things they represent can be properly
compared in a quantitative manner. For example, a NUMA cell resource
needs to be modelled in a Python object that can be compared to a
request for a certain NUMA topology.

There was and continues to be no need to make resources extensible. They
just needed to be properly modelled into Python objects, and those
objects used in scheduling decisions and tracking.

> The current implementation of it, however, has some glaring drawbacks
> that made it impossible for me to base my work on it, that have been
> discussed in detail on other threads and IRC heavily, hence we need to
> rethink how to get there.

++

-jay