[openstack-dev] [Nova][FFE] Feature freeze exception for virt-driver-numa-placement

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 08:48:21 UTC 2014

On 09/04/2014 07:42 PM, Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) wrote:

>>> Anyway, not enough to -1 it, but enough to at least say something.
>

>> .. but I do not want to get into the discussion about software testing
>

>> here, not the place really.
>

>> However, I do think it is very harmful to respond to FFE request with
>

>> such blanket statements and generalizations, if only for the message it
>

>> sends to the contributors (that we really care more about upholding our
>

>> own myths as a community than users and features).
>

>> I believe you brought this up as one of your justifications for the FFE.
>
>> When I read your statement it does sound as though you want to put
>
>> experimental code in at the final release. I am sure that is not what
>
>> you had in mind, but I am also sure you can also understand Sean's point
>
>> of view. His point is clear and pertinent to your request.
>

>> As the person responsible for Nova in HP I will be interested to see how
>
>> it operates in practice. I can assure you we will do extensive testing
>
>> on it before it goes into the wild and we will not put it into practice
>
>> if we are not happy.
>

> That is awesome and we as a project are lucky to have that! I would not
>
> want things put into practice that users can't use or see huge flaws with.
>

> I can't help but read this as you being OK with the feature going ahead,
>
> though :).
>

> Actually, let’s say I have no particular objection. Just thought Sean’s
> point is worth noting.
>

> Now, if this had been done as an extensible resource I could easily
> decouple deploying it from all the bug fixes that come through with the
> release. But that’s another matter…

Quick response as not to hijack the thread:

I think we all agree on the benefits of having resources you can turn
off and on at will.

The current implementation of it, however, has some glaring drawbacks
that made it impossible for me to base my work on it, that have been
discussed in detail on other threads and IRC heavily, hence we need to
rethink how to get there.