[openstack-dev] [oslo] request_id deprecation strategy question

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:27:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM, gordon chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:

> > The issue I'm highlighting is that those projects using the code now have
> > to update their api-paste.ini files to import from the new location,
> > presumably while giving some warning to operators about the impending
> > removal of the old code.
>
> This was the issue i ran into when trying to switch projects to
> oslo.middleware where i couldn't get jenkins to pass -- grenade tests
> successfully did their job. we had a discussion on openstack-qa and it was
> suggested to add a upgrade script to grenade to handle the new reference
> and document the switch. [1]
>
> if there's any issue with this solution, feel free to let us know.

Going down this route means every deployment that wishes to upgrade now has
an extra step, and should be avoided whenever possible. Why not just have a
wrapper in project.openstack.common pointing to the new oslo.middleware
library. If that is not a viable solution, we should give operators one
full cycle where the oslo-incubator version is deprecated and they can
migrate to the new copy outside of the upgrade process itself. Since there
is no deprecation warning in Juno [0], We can deprecate the oslo-incubator
copy in Kilo and remove in L.

[0] first email in this thread