[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 18:54:46 UTC 2014

On 10/14/2014 01:01 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> 2) Looking forward, there is a lot of demand for doing this on a per
>> instance basis.  We should decide on a best practice for allowing end
>> users to indicate whether they would like their VMs automatically
>> rescued by the infrastructure, or just left down in the case of a
>> failure.  It could be as simple as a special tag set on an instance [2].
>
> Please note that server instance tagging (thanks for the shout-out, BTW)
> is intended for only user-defined tags, not system-defined metadata
> which is what this sounds like...

I was envisioning the tag being set by the end user to say "please keep
my VM running until I say otherwise", or something like "auto-recover"
for short.

So, it's specified by the end user, but potentially acted upon by the
system (as you say below).

> Of course, one might implement some external polling/monitoring system
> using server instance tags, which might do a nova list --tag $TAG --host
> $FAILING_HOST, and initiate a migrate for each returned server instance...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Whatever system you use to react to a
failing host could use the tag as part of the criteria to figure out
which instances to evacuate and which to leave as dead.

--
Russell Bryant