[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Jastrzebski, Michal michal.jastrzebski at intel.com
Wed Oct 15 07:11:49 UTC 2014

I tend to agree that that shouldn't be placed in nova. As it happens I'm working on very same thing (hello Russell :)). My current candidate is heat. Convergence will be in my opinion great place to do it (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/95907/). It's still in state of planning, but we'll talk about that more in Paris. I even have working demo of automatic evacuation :) (come to intel booth in Paris if you'd like to see it).

Thing is, nova currently isn't ready for that. For example:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1379292
We are working on bp to enable nova to check actual host health, not only nova services health (bp coming soon, but in short its enabling zookeeper servicegroup api to monitor for example libvirt, or something else which, if down, means vms are dead).
That won't replace actual fencing, but that's something, and even if we would like to have fencing in nova, that's an requirement.

Maybe it's worth a design session? I've seen this or similar idea in several places already, and demand is strong for that.

Regards,
Michał