[openstack-dev] [kolla] What I already have for openstack/kubernetes/docker

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 00:45:25 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 06:25 PM, Angus Lees wrote:
> Sorry I couldn't make the IRC meeting.  sdake quite rightly suggested I send
> this to the broader list for dissection.
>
> I spent yesterday templatising my k8s configs so I could publish them without
> revealing all my passwords ;)
>
>    https://github.com/anguslees/kube-openstack
>

> Please take a look and let me know if any of this is useful.  I think the good
> bits are:
>
> - A simpler method of handling k8s pod routes by just using etcd and two shell
> loops to setup a poor-mans dynamic routing protocol.  For all its simplicity,
> this should scale to hundreds of nodes just fine, and a sharding hierarchy
> would be easy enough to add at that point  (see the networking portions in
> heat-kube-coreos-rax.yaml)
>
> - Dockerfiles for nova + keystone, and a start on glance.  The structure should
> be similar for all the other "control" jobs that don't need to mess with
> hardware directly.  In particular, I'm experimenting with what it would be
> like if environment variables were supported directly in oslo.config files, and
> so far it looks good.
>
> I chose to build these from git master.  I'm not sure if that's a good idea or
> not, but it's what I need to use this for dev work.   A possible improvement
> would be to base these on something like dockerfile/python-runtime.
>
> - k8s config for keystone + nova + a start on glance.  Again, these should be a
> good model for other control jobs.
>
> - I use heat to setup the initial deployment "environment" and generate all
> the passwords, and then stamp the generated values into kubernetes "template"
> files.  This assumes an already active undercloud, but it also removes easily
> isolated tasks like "set up a mysql server and provide its address here" from
> our list of problems to tackle.
>

> I'm trying to run servers independently wherever possible, rather than
> bundling them into the same pod or container.  This gives maximum freedom with
> very little overhead (thanks to docker).  This also means my containers are
> basically dumb software distribution, without a complicated start.sh.
>
> I don't have anything that configures keystone users or catalog yet - I was
> going to do that in a single pass that just added all the service ports some
> time after keystone was configured but not as part of each individual service.

Angus,

The routing idea sounds interesting, but I'd like someone who actually
is a network expert (which I'm not) provide an analysis of the concept.

I have had a look at your repo and I don't immediately see how to
integrate our two repos together.  That said, I'd really like you to
join the Kolla community and help crank out a working solution.  We hang
out in #tripleo on freenode and would love to chat more.

If you want coreos support, I think that is do-able with some renames in
our repository.  Right now we are focused on Fedora + RDO support rather
then CoreOS + master support.

Regards,
-steve