[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Mar 24 15:42:22 UTC 2014

On 03/22/2014 03:14 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Honestly, I largely disagree. This is applying some process where there
> clearly wasn't any before.

We have a different perception evidently. I'm assuming you're
exaggerating for the sake of clarity because assuming there was no
process before means that the releases are basically randomly defined.

> Storyboard remains vaporware. I will be enormously happy when it is not.
[...]

That's depressing to read. I'm again assuming you're using exaggerated
words to paint a clearer picture.

At this point I'd like to get a fair assessment of storyboard's status
and timeline: it's clear that Launchpad blueprints need to be abandoned
lightspeed fast and I (and others) have been sold the idea that
Storyboard is a *thing* that will happen *soon*. I also was told that
spec reviews are an integral part of Storyboard use case scenarios, not
just defects.

I guess the reason why I'm puzzled is that if the largest OpenStack
project can afford to migrate out of Launchpad's Blueprints quickly, why
do we even care about Storyboard? And don't tell me this is an
experiment: you don't do experiments of this size with people! We're
talking about hundreds of people who've been reading/told for
months/years that in order to get a new feature in OpenStack you file a
blueprint on Launchpad... There are hundreds of presentations on
slideshare, webinar recordings, documentation *we* don't control, all
mentioning launchpad.

I keep having the impression you are all underestimating the size of the
change you're proposing. To give you an example, even though we moved
the individual CLA from echosign to Gerrit, I keep receiving 4-5 signed
iCLA from echosign per week. And that's because some of these companies
have not updated their internal documentation or because individual
developers believe anything shows up on google instead of wiki-search info.

Now, it seems that Russell and Thierry have made up their mind so let's
focus on Storyboard again: is it going to happen during the Juno
timeframe or shall I consider it vaporware too?

/stef