[openstack-dev] Offset support in REST API pagination

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:02:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-18 at 11:31 -0500, Steven Kaufer wrote:
> First, here is some background on this topic:
>  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/2777
>
> Does anyone have any insight as to why offset is not supported in the
> REST API calls that support pagination?   I realize that there are
> tradeoffs when using a offset (vs. marker) but I believe that there is
> value in supporting both.  For example, if you want to jump to the
> n-th page of data without having to traverse all of the previous
> pages.
>
> Is there a reason why the APIs do not support either a marker or an
> offset (obviously not both) on the API request?  It appears that
> sqlalchemy has offset support.
>
> Also, it seems that cinder at least looks for the offset parameter
> (but ignores it).  Does this mean that it was supported at one time
> but later the support was removed?
>  https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/cinder/api/v2/volumes.py#L214
>
> Thanks for the information.

Hail to thee, stranger! Thou hast apparently not passed into the cave of
marker/offset before!

I humbly direct you to buried mailing list treasures which shall
enlighten you!

This lengthy thread shall show you how yours truly was defeated in
written combat by the great Justin Santa Barbara, who doth exposed the
perils of the offset:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/2803

A most recent incantation of the marker/offset wars is giveth here:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/018861.html

Best of days to you,
-jay